Sunday, August 9, 2015

Kelli's Kloset

Today I would like to take the opportunity to share a resource that I learned about a couple weeks ago.  It's called Kelli's Kloset.  This has become a resource that means a lot to me.

The story of how it got started goes like this:

Kelli Richmond, while going through cancer treatment, was having to buy clothes left and right because of the way her body changed during each different treatment she was taking.  One day, at the doctor's office, she noticed a lady with her skirt pinned up with a safety pin.  It was at that moment she realized how lucky she was to be able to be in a situation, where she didn't have to worry about finances and was able to buy clothes when her body changed.  She vowed that she would open a non profit organization that gave cancer patients free clothes.  Kelli didn't live long enough to see her dream come true but her family took her dream and ran with it.  The doors opened June 7, 2014.

They even have something called the $1000 monthly birthday wish, where one ovarian cancer patient is gifted with $1000.  What an amazing organization.  The monthly birthday wish may not include breast cancer but I'm sure you know someone going through ovarian cancer that could sign up.  Here's the link to the birthday wishes, Kelli's Kloset.

This resource means a lot to me for a couple of reasons.  No, I didn't know Kelli personally, but an ample amount of my friends did and when she died it was felt all around this community.  My heart broke for this family and for all of her friends.  Some I was very close with, and I saw the pain when she passed.

Another reason is because this is the best idea ever.  This girl right here (me), weight has fluctuated a good 80 pounds since I was diagnosed.  Depending on my treatment I may gain weight (which is where I am at right now) or I may lose weight.  It goes up and down like a yo yo and I appreciate this organization so much.  I wish Kelli could still be here to see her dream come true and see the lives she is changing.

Lastly I want to say thank you, Kelli.  You amaze me, even from the grave.  Also, thank you to her family for making this dream come true, and for all the volunteers that make it happen.

Kelli's Kloset is open Wednesday's and Fridays 10-4 and Saturdays 10-2.
It is located at:
4560 North Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

xoxo

shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment